Sunday, January 12, 2014

That's a Spicy Meatball

I have been making meatballs since I was about 14 years old. I have gone through lots of recipes and lots of different techniques.  But I finally found a meatball that I feel that I can stick with.  I have been making these for about 5 years, so I think they are a winner.  

I like to make them using a mixture of meat, and not always the same mixture, but whatever I am in the mood for on the day I make them.  Mostly the mixture is ground beef, pork,veal, and turkey.  Most of the time I do leave out the beef. But I always add the ground pork.  The recipe calls for 2 pounds of meat, so feel free to use whatever meat your family likes.  

You can add these meatballs to your favorite sauce or you can just put them in a pot of crushed tomatoes for meatball sandwiches.  Be sure to add whatever broth is still in the pan from the meatballs, it adds lots of flavor. 



  Spicy Meatballs

1 cup breadcrumbs
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup chopped parsley
3 eggs, slightly beaten
2 TBSP Italian seasoning
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 TBSP kosher salt
1 TBSP ground black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
pinch of nutmeg

2pounds ground meat (beef, turkey,veal,pork)

1 cup beef broth  (for pan)


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Stir together the all ingredient except the meat until mixed thoroughly. 
Add the meat until combined.
Shape into small balls (I use a small scoop)
Place balls on a rimmed cooking sheet and cover the bottom with the additional beef broth. 
Bake for 25 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through  
Add meatballs to your favorite sauce along with the pan juices.

No comments: