Friday, January 10, 2014

Italian Sausage and Potato Soup

Making soup and watching the snow fall are probably the only things that I like about this cold season. I am more a spring/summer girl.  But if I have to be in the cold, a nice hearty soup is what I am dreaming about.  This soup is quick and easy, it has a few steps, but I seemed to do a good job of cleaning up my mess along the way and the soup was perfect for a cold and dreary day.  

The original recipe that I found calls for a plain sausage and added hot pepper flakes. You could do that or just do as I did and use a hot Italian sausage.  If you don't like the heat then you could use mild.  I like to experiment and/or use what i have, no need for a special trip to the store.  



1 lb Italian sausage (I use Hot)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 onion, diced
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, diced
1 tsp Italian seasonings
2 cups milk
3 oz cream cheese
3 TBSP flour
2 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 cups baby spinach

Remove the sausage from casings and crumble it into a large dutch oven.  Begin cooking the sausage, braking it up as it cooks, over medium heat.  Add the smoked paprika, onion and garlic.  Saute until the sausage is fully cooked. Drain if necessary. Add the chicken stock and Italian seasoning. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling add the potatoes,cover, and reduce to a simmer.  Cook until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes depending on size.  
While the potatoes are cooking, place the milk, cream cheese, flour and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth. Heat the butter in a medium size saucepan . When the butter is melted, add the milk mixture and whisk over medium heat until thick.  When potatoes are tender, add the thickened milk mixture and the spinach.  
Serve with salt and pepper to taste or grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments: