Thursday, February 28, 2013

Peppery Pesto



Pesto is a wonder condiment. Of course I love it on pasta, but it is awesome As a spread on a sandwich! And even more so on a grilled sandwich. Also an excellent topping for a broiled fish, it is just wonderful.  I do love my traditional pesto, of basil and pine nuts, but this peppery mix of arugula and basil has just the right amount of kick to make it stand out.  I am lucky enough to have a Bendtec blender that I make my pesto in, but if you have a food processor, use that. Even those little mini choppers work fine. 


1/2 c. Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 1/2 c. Arugula
1 1/2 c. Basil
1/8 c. Pine nuts
1/2 c. Grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Add oil, garlic, arugula and basil to blender(processor) secure lid and pulse 6-8 times until roughly chopped. Add the remaining ingredients and secure lid. Pulse again 4-6 times until coarse purée texture is reached.
Keep in fridge upto 3 days.

No comments: