Sunday, February 17, 2013

Potato frittata with crispy bacon

My family loves a nice breakfast together. Sometimes it is a quick little bowl of cereal , but on the weekend it usually means something special. 
I found the easiest way of cooking bacon , with less mess, less cleanup and the bacon just melts in your mouth.  
Cover a baking sheet with foil, and arrange bacon in a single layer, place in a 400 oven.  Oven temps and bacon are tricky, but mine takes about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on it.  Remove from the oven when crispy. Let sit for a few minutes then drain on paper towels.  It is very crispy and melts in your mouth. You will never go back to getting splattered by pan frying, I promise. 

I never make my frittata the same way, but there is a basic recipe that I follow. I use whatever fresh herbs that I happen to have, and if there are some left ever vegetables, they go in too. I also like to use leftover roasted potatoes in place of the potato.

2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp each, salt & pepper
6 large eggs
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 TBSP fresh basil ( any herb)

In a large oven proof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.  Add the potato,garlic, salt and pepper  and sauté until potatoes are tender and golden, about 15 minutes.
Preheat the broiler. In a small bowl combine the eggs, cream, cheese and herbs. Stir the egg mixture into the potatoes. Cook until eggs are almost set, but still runny.
Place the skillet under the broiler and cook until set, about 4 minutes. Using a spatula, loosen frittata and cut into wedges to serve. 



No comments: