Friday, February 22, 2013

Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Bacon

Sometimes we just need a little comfort food. Grilled cheese makes everything feel better. I love adding a little bit of veggies to almost anything. Having my kids love something with veggies better than plain just makes me happy. 
This recipe is based on one from Giada. Her recipe calls for pancetta, which I do love and have made it this way, but I do not always have it on hand.  She uses Monterey Jack and cheddar. I think that any combination will work.  
I like to make the cheese spread and have it available for the kids to make sandwiches whenever. And I make the whole pound of bacon and leave it in the fridge to add also. 

1 pound bacon, cooked 
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese 
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp canola oil
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
Hearty bread (oat nut, whole wheat, sourdough)

In a food processor, or blendtec, combine the butter, cheeses, salt and canola oil. Blend until smooth, adding extra oil if needed. Add the spinach until just combined. ( you could mix by hand also). Spread cheese mixture on a slice of bread, top with a few slices of bacon and another piece of bread. Place in a preheated panini press

No comments: