Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Party Mix

I'm pretty sure that everyone loves party mix.  I prefer the homemade kind. Some people like the store bought. Either way, it is quite addictive! You can make it to suit your tastes as well. My oldest loves the Cheez-its in the mix. My middle is allergic to peanuts, so we leave them out of hers.  I have made it with cashews, which is my favorite. And you can always play around with the cereal that you combine. Just be sure to have about 9 cups.  My personal favorite is the wheat chex, but no one else seems to like them. And Goldfish are a great addition if you have them on hand. And I don't have to have name brand, since I add all of these spices it can be generic and it tastes just as good.

3 cups Corn Chex
3 cups Wheat Chex
3 cups Rice Chex
2 cups Pretzels
2 cups cheese crackers 
2 cups nuts
1 1/2 sticks butter
3 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
6 or so dashes Tabasco sauce
3 -5 cloves garlic (smashed or minced)
1 tsp Seasoned salt (sprinkle or two more when on cookie sheet)
1/4 tsp onion powder

Put cereal, pretzels, crackers and nuts into a large bowl.  
In a glass measuring cup, add the remaining ingredients and microwave until the butter is melted. Stir together and pour over cereal mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Pour mixture onto two cookie sheets, and give it a little sprinkle with the seasoned salt. Bake in a 250 oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.   Be sure to stir every 15 minutes to ensure even browning.  Let cool and store in an airtight container. Enjoy. 

No comments: