Friday, July 25, 2014

Pizzelle



I have always loved Pizzelle cookies.  My husband's 'Nanny' always made them and they were so dreamy.  I never even thought to get the recipe from her.  It is the little acts of love that someone dopes that gives you the greatest joy. Her cookies will always be on a level above all other cookies. 

One day while sitting at dance with my daughter, I was talking with the other mothers about whatever it is mom's talk about (everything). and another mother gave me her recipe. I remember trying to make them a few times and they just didn't turn out.  I had no idea what I was doing wrong.  I actually gave away my pizzelle iron because I thought it was broke. 
Years later I got another pizzelle iron and tried her recipe and they were terrific!! I still have no idea what I was doing wrong before, and I don't even care. I love how my new iron works and the recipe is great. I have a Cuisinart Pizzelle Press.

So, Thank You, Shirley Emmerling for the awesome recipe. I think of you every single time I make them.



Pizzelle

6 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter (melted and cooled)
4 tsp baking powder 
2 TBSP Anise seed
1 TBSP Anise extract

Beat eggs adding sugar gradually.  Beat until smooth.  Add cooled , melted butter and anise ( seed and extract).  Add flour and baking powder to egg mixture.  Dough will be sticky enough to be dropped by a spoon. Cook according to your Pizzelle iron.  I used mine on setting #3, and lightly brush with canola oil. Let cookies cool on wire rack. Optional: dust with powdered sugar.

Makes about 5 dozen.

No comments: