Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Pizza Dough

I started making this pizza dough years ago when I found The Pioneer Woman's blog.  Since then, she has published books, has a TV show on The Food Network, and has become very famous.  I forget how I actually found her, but it was probably 2007 or so.  I just loved her style, way of life and her food.  I have tried so many of her recipes with much success.  I use her pizza crust recipe, but I do use instant yeast instead.  I haven't used  active dry yeast for this in a very long time.


2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
4 cups flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup olive oil, plus extra for bowl
1 1/2 cups warm water


To the bowl of a stand mixer, add the 4 cups of flour, instant yeast and kosher salt. With the dough hook stir to combine. With the mixer now on low, drizzle in the 1/3 cup of olive oil.  Slowly add in the warm water, mixing until the dough comes together. You can mix it by hand, it works just as well.  When the dough is formed, remove from the bowl and drizzle some olive oil into the bowl. Gently place the dough in and turn over so that both sides are coated in oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm spot for an hour or two.  The dough is now ready to be used or you can refrigerate for 3-5 days in a sealed container. It may also be frozen for up to 6 months.


If using active dry yeast:
Pour 1 1/2 cups of warm water in a small bowl and sprinkle yeast (1 tsp or 1/2 packet) on top. Wait a few minutes and stir together. Add it to the flour mixture.

No comments: