Monday, May 26, 2014

Broccoli Salad

This is the time of year for lots of picnics,BBQ's and potlucks.  Such a great way to enjoy ourselves and spend time with family and friends. Since we all love to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather, this recipe is simple and doesn't require cooking. (except for the bacon) 

Most of us have our special dish that we bring to these events.  I have a handful to choose from, and depending on what is needed.  I love to make orzo salad, broccoli salad or pasta salad. And a dessert of some kind is always great to bring. 

I looked around for a broccoli salad and ended up making one of my own. I took the dressing form one recipe and the added the ingredients that I wanted. I like how it has so many tastes together, a little salty and a little sweet. My kids don't like it at all, but it never has any leftovers at parties.


Broccoli Salad


1 bunch fresh broccoli (3 cups)
1 whole carrot, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
5 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
1/4 cup roasted sunflower kernels
3/4 cup red onion, chopped
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

dressing
1/2 cup mayo
3 TBSP sugar 
2 TBSP vinegar
pepper to taste 

Rinse and pat dry broccoli. Remove the thick stems and cut the tops into bite-sized pieces.  
Place all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients until thoroughly combined.  
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until evenly coated. Add pepper to taste. Cover and chill until serving.

If serving a large group, it very easily doubles.

No comments: